"a caterpillar doesn't just grow into a butterfly. a caterpillar must undergo metamorphosis, and a cocoon is where a caterpillar risks it all: enters total chaos, undergoes total rebuilding, and is born to a new way of living. only in taking the risk of entering that inert cocoon can the caterpillar go from dormancy to potency, from ugliness to beauty."

Friday, October 22, 2004

written in crayon

my side of the room has this collection of blue and yellow post its, torn pages from a notebook, small greeting cards, and other what-have-you's -- almost all of which bear my roommate's handwriting. you see, my roommate usually writes me notes and that's something i really appreciate. she writes to tell where she's going, who she's gonna spend time with, what she's gonna do, what she's feeling, what she just learned, and the things that she knows i would want to know and be informed about (basically just anything under the sun which we both care about even if other people may find them super trivial).

last wednesday, october 20, she posted this 8.5" x 11" white bond paper on my cabinet door. her cool crayon marks said:

Why I like my roommate:

1. She's smart and she knows it and she doesn't brag about it.
2. She has a sense of space and respects it.
3. She has a sense of humor and shares it.
4. She has a sense of empathy and lets me know when I need it.
5. She's nerd and weird and doesn't make a big deal out of it.
6. She puts up with my sappy-ness.
7. She puts up with my fashion sense.
8. She puts up with my insomnia.
9. She sings songs with me and gets excited about it.
10. She likes Conrado and Ate Lourie.
11. She said she'll get sad when i leave ahead of her...


naks. heartwarming. fun. worth sharing. perfect timing. a little bit breaking, too. it's already the end of the semester. roommate and i don't know for sure if we'd still be sharing room next semester although we're both praying and willing we'd still be.

the note she left on my laptop today said:
Bon Voyage
sana magkasama pa tayo

our room now feels deserted, just like the rest of the dorm. i am alone as i type. roommate is currently in los baños for work. i may or may not see her before i go. i'll be leaving for home tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I can actually relate on your post! Roommates are also considered as our family for the whole semester. Much bonding and fun! I hope magkasama pa nga kayo kasi halatang magkasundong magkasundo kayo. =)

    Happy trip Ms Caterpillar! Ms Very Smart Caterpillar.=) Take care po kayo.

    originally posted on 10.22.04 - 8:26 pm using Haloscan comment board

    ReplyDelete
  2. maypa ka mouli. syet. azn. freaky na sad au ang dorm...

    originally posted on 10.23.04 - 3:05 pm using Haloscan comment board

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate too. A month ago I lost the best flatmate ever! He finished his PhD ahead of me, and moved to England to start his first post doc. The house is strangely empty, though we IM each other regularly. I truly hope you get your roommate back next semester. Enjoy your hol's!

    originally posted on 10.23.04 - 8:18 pm using Haloscan comment board

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...