"a caterpillar doesn't just grow into a butterfly. a caterpillar must undergo metamorphosis, and a cocoon is where a caterpillar risks it all: enters total chaos, undergoes total rebuilding, and is born to a new way of living. only in taking the risk of entering that inert cocoon can the caterpillar go from dormancy to potency, from ugliness to beauty."

Saturday, August 18, 2007

hi from canada

"May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun
And find your shoulder to light on,
To bring you luck, happiness and riches
Today, tomorrow and beyond."

--Irish Blessing

on august 9, 2007 i wrote: waaaah my baby boy left for canada this morning. no more wake up calls of ate katrweeen for me from him in the mornings. no more impish shouting matches with him in the evenings, too.


go well, little guy!

now, i can only hug the small pillow he left behind. a pair of his shoes (with his small socks inside) and a pair of his slippers adorn the bookshelves in the girls' room. there's a copy of his passport picture stuck under the glass on the table in the room where i sleep. last weekend, i saw him smiling and waving at me through the webcam. through pc-to-pc call, he said, "hi ate valinkatrweeen! how are you?" the fact that he can make out my name completely makes me so damn proud of him! he's only two.

wasn't it only a little more than a week ago when he told me "flowers for you!" and insisted that i sing along to his toddler-ish guitar-playing?

on the bright side, no one's gonna wrestle the marshmallows, stik-o's, and lollipops out of my hands anymore. i can enjoy eating them in peace.

still, i wish he's back here. he's my favorite jolly brat, you know, and the marshmallows don't look as sweet anymore.



p.s. video clips of his toddler antics are here.

3 comments:

  1. i can easily relate to this post of yours. i too have my nephews and am quite fond of them. someday, my brother, hiw wife and my nephews will be bound for north america.

    while they're still here, they still have their uncle hovering over them and making kulit.

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hay, kids... such angels. when my brother moved to iligan with his family, our house was never the same. kids always make houses/homes better places.:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...